Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Appreciation: Christopher Summerlin, Ph.D, College of Humanities

“What is it about your role as a faculty member that inspires you the most?"

My inspiration for being a faculty member comes from serving a small role in the future success of the students I serve.  Witnessing the growth and changes that take place in my students is what drives me to continue my efforts to challenge and stretch their knowledge in becoming successful leaders in their communities.  I find it vastly rewarding to see the “light bulb” turn on when a student goes from being timid and shy within the course to active participants with their peers in the learning process.  It is fulfilling to see how each student’s thinking, writing, and understanding grow with each assignment, discussion, and exercise.     
I often see adult students enter the University with little idea of what to expect from higher education and also with a lack of confidence in what they are capable of achieving.   They also enter with numerous responsibilities to include family, employment, and community obligations.   I find inspiration in helping these students not only learn about themselves, but also what all they can achieve with the right focus.  All of the time and effort it takes to reach students on a personal level is priceless when I receive a message of how well they are doing and how much they appreciated me encouraging and challenging them to work harder.  
As a faculty member it is my responsibility to provide opportunities for learning and challenging students to achieve more then they may have thought possible.  Seeing these students overcome obstacles, increase their knowledge, and grow as leaders is what keeps me engaged in online learning.  We serve students that are often overlooked by many other institutions, but the effect we can have on the lives of these students can be felt throughout the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment